Saturday, August 9, 2008

These are a few of my favorite things

Yes, you should think Julie Andrews and the Sound of Music when you read that title (wow am I displaying my age and my inner "manly" touch with that!)

I just thought it would be appropriate to get back on the blogging scene with a couple of my favorite things that I have been able to enjoy recently. Now it goes without saying that my wife is definitely my favorite and that the following don't even come close, but for this post lets focus on these other favorite things.

Number One: Apple iPhone!!
Yes that is right, I finally was able to fulfill my guilty passion and am now a proud owner of the iPhone. Lest some of you think I am a spoiled new dentist who is buying all my fun new toys, I have wanted this thing for over a year now and have held out. I even suppressed my desire to buy the new 3G phone when it came out, and thankfully I did. You see, my wonderful brother in law, Juan, is a proud new owner of the 3G iPhone and so he was kind enough to sell me his old iPhone for a great deal, and I couldn't pass that up. I am a bargain shopper you know.
So how do I like the iPhone so far, you might ask? I love it!!!! Chelsea is already sick of me telling her how cool it is and how many things it can do. But the thing really is amazing and I am using it all the time. Thanks Juan, and thank Chelsea, for letting me cough up the 5o bucks for this wonderful gadget.

Number Two: The Olympics
I admit, I am a huge fan of the Olympics and have been waiting for the opening ceremonies now for a while. It is so amazing to me to watch these athletes compete and to see how good they are at what they do. As most of you know I am a huge sports junkie and there is just something magical about watching the worlds best compete on such a huge stage. It is disappointing to say the least when you hear about the doping scandals and such, but regardless of all that which goes on, I still love these two weeks that come around every two years.
I must make one comment on tonights opening ceremony in Beijing. If I had to sum it up in one word...AMAZING! I am not usually a big fan of the opening ceremony, although I usually always try and watch it just because I love the olympics so much. It is usually too symbolic and artsy fartsy for me. But the one tonight was incredible. The things they did were so precise and so neat to watch. For those of you that didn't get to see it, you have got to try and find it on the internet and just watch the drummers sections, remarkable to say the least.
Last comment. Many people are saying that China is going to lead the medal count when all is said and done. I am making my bold prediction right now, that the greatest country on Earth, even our own US of A is going to lead the medal count when all is said and done. And I make one more bold prediction. That Team USA Basketball will take home the gold this year and do so in a very dramatic way, by cleaning house of everyone they meet! C'mon now USA, don't let me down in front of all my readers!!!

3 comments:

Jason and Kristin said...

Ok, I can't let Jason see this post. He will be so jealous of your iphone. We are big fans of the hand me downs. That's how we got our 2 ipods and docking station. Hope all is going well with the jobs and house hunting. Tell everyone hi from us.

JoEllen said...

I for one have to agree with Chelsea on the iphone matter. Sal just got his and I am so tired of seeing all it's features. :) I'm glad that you (and Sal) could live the dream and finally get your much deserving hands on one of those phones.

I love the Olympics too! Did you see the story about the man who was the USA flag bearer for the opening ceremonies? He is from africa and was stolen from his village by the rebel group. (You know, that group of people who go raiding the villages, killing babies and stealing teenage boys to do their dirty work for them.) This young man and some of his friends decided to escape the group. They ran for 5 days with no food and little water; hardly ever stopping! He says that running saved his life (he is competing in track and field events). They came across a refugee camp and he lived there for 10 years before a family in upstate NY decided to foster home him. He excelled in track in High School and college, just recently became a US citizen and is now competing in the Olympics. Talk about adversity! It was an amazing story.

I read an article about how China has been training for the Olympics. They have dumped tons and tons of federal money into their training facilities. The government goes out into the fields of the country and measures kid's torso to leg ratio and stuff like that and decides which events they will train for. Then, all they do is train and train and train. China only trains it's athletes for competitions that have the most medals to be won (like kayaking that has something like 30 categories.) It's crazy. I hope the US can beat them out, but it'll be tough!

Adam Snell said...

Holy Cow!!! Did you see the 4 man relay 100m swim?! That was amazing! I too am a huge fan of the olympics. Not quite the sports junkie that Heath is, but the olympics are just incredible.