Monday, August 18, 2008

Olympic Mania

So far the Olympics has lived up to all my expectations. The swimming was unbelievable, one of those sporting events that I won't soon forget and am likely to be talking about even 10 years from now.

Of course the US Mens Basketball, the Redeem Team, has got their act together from 4 years ago and is rolling over the competition. I have mixed feelings about Kobe Bryant, not a huge fan, but I must say that I believe his attitude is right on with US basketball and it has done a lot to help the other players. Also, what better move could you make than to get Coach K to be the head coach? Much better job with these players than a NBA coach would do.

Of course the Olympics wouldn't be the Olympics without the judging controversies either. I don't profess to be an expert on gymnastics in the least, but I don't understand how someone can get a medal when they completely fall on their dismount and someone else who only takes a little hop doesn't even medal (see the girls individual Vault event).

Looking forward to Track and Field. The 100m event was already crazy. If you missed it, the Jamaican, Bolt, can flat out fly!!! Only one more week of sleep deprivation!

2 comments:

JoEllen said...

I LOVE the Olympics and while we don't have TV, I have been catching up during work via the Internet. Of course I've taken a vested interest in the triathlon this year and those athletes just blow me away! The girls had one major crash during the biking portion and one small crash during the second transition. Always exciting!

I agree about the Men's basketball and while I don't claim to understand the new scoring system for gymnastics I'm totally with you on the blatant unfairness! Give me a break!! I was happy to see the US take gold and silver in the all around individual events though. Take that China!

Jason and Kristin said...

Did you check out the women's trampoline. I had no idea it was an olympic event!