Sunday, November 18, 2007

Grateful Sunday

I decided it's time to take a page from Stephanie Farnsworth's blog and do a Grateful Sunday post (by the way I love the idea Stephanie, I should adopt it permanently...but I'm too big of a blogger slacker for that!)

This Sunday I am grateful for....helmets! No not the kind you see on TV every Saturday and Sunday in the fall while watching the best sport known to man, but rather those kind that protect us motorcycle riders (or in my case a little 49cc scooter!) This past week I had a little "accident" while riding my scooter to work and am very grateful that I had my helmet on.

I was approaching an intersection going about 35 mph, when all of a sudden a car decided to turn left in front of me. Rather than broadsiding the car with myself and the scooter, I locked up the brakes and no sooner than I did that did the scooter slip out from underneath me and sent me flying to the ground. I immediately hit the ground and my head bounced against the road as I skidded along the asphalt. Luckily I missed the car and was actually okay. I got back up to my feet and looked over at my scooter, which surprisingly was still running, allbeit on its side. So I just went over to my scooter, picked it up, hopped back on and rode the rest of the way to work. It was really quite surreal. I guess I should have stopped a minute and got the information of the guy/girl that turned in front of me but I think I was in such shock that nothing more serious happened to me that I just got up and left. I did get some nice road rash on my elbow, hand and knee, a very large and ugly bruise on my hip, and one whopping headache, but other than that I was okay. I know that it could have been A LOT worse, and someone must have been watching out for me. Thanks to my kids for all those prayers about keeping daddy safe on his scooter! I must say, judging from the wicked bounce my head made on the road, if it wasn't for that helmet, I don't know if I would be posting this right now. Here are some pics of my minor injuries. I was also luckily wearing my big winter coat that I think padded my fall a little as well.


Picture of my scrubs with the asphalt ground in nicely and the hole in the knee


9 comments:

JoEllen said...

We are so glad that you're alright! Little kids are so sweet when they pray! I can just hear them..."we are thankaful daddy is safe on his scooter..."

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

wow! You are one lucky guy. Im glad you are ok!
Also, I read your last post. ALL I ever knew of you Heath was BYU hats...wow,Chelsea changed you..good job Chelsea :)

Ras Family said...

Glad that you are o.k. Heath!!!

Heath said...

Meredith I still do have my BYU hats for sure, but most of them are too nasty to wear anymore.

Emily R said...

scary!!! i am glad you are ok!! glad your kids prayed for your safety!!! every time we drive by those crotch-rocket motorcycles joe gets all dreamy-eyed thinking of the one he had when we were dating... but things like that remind me why i am GLAD joe doesnt have it anymore. SO SCARY! STAY SAFE! i just hope you dont do wheelys on that scooter of yours!

speaking of byu - joe got to go to that game cause he can do alternate travel - one of the perks of his traveling job...

KMitchell said...

If you would have been wearing your leather outfit Chelsea made for you, you might have walked away without those scrapes-JK:) We are glad you are safe!!!

Shelley said...

Happy to hear that you survived!!! and that you are doing well!! Yeah for helmets.

Ondriawfd said...

Mom told me about your accident. I'm so glad you're okay. I do think it's kind of funny that you just jumped back on the scooter though. You obviously hit your head a little to hard.

The Farnsworth Family said...

Heath!!! I am so glad you are okay. Someone must have been looking out for you for sure. Hope you are feeling better and learn to fly so nothing like this happens again :)