Sunday, March 30, 2008

The difference between boys and girls

This morning as I was getting ready for church I was brushing my teeth and Brooklyn comes in telling me to stop and listen to something. So I turn off my toothbrush, yes I do have an automatic one and I love it, and all of a sudden I hear the sound of scissors opening and closing. I look out into my bedroom and proceed to see Caden, with a pair of scissors in his hands, cutting away at my suit coat that was laying on the bed! I won't go into the details of the punishment that proceeded :), but rather how different Caden and Brooklyn's outlook on the whole situation was.

Caden- After the punishment I was talking to him about how we don't use the scissors to cut holes in things, and how now I can't wear my suit because it has holes in it. To which Caden replied, with a big grin on his face, "It's okay dad, everybody yikes (likes) holes!" Then I told him how not everybody does, because I don't, to which he said, with that sort of 'dad it's okay, don't freak out' tone of voice, "Me friends yike holes!" I had to hold back the laughter at that point and just ended the conversation with a, "Cade don't use the scissors anymore."

Brooklyn- Remember she is the one that came and told me about Caden cutting the suit, she had no part in actually doing it. So after I was done talking to Cade I didn't see Brooklyn anywhere around, but could only hear sniffles coming from her bedroom. So I walked in there, and there she was sitting hunched over in her little chair with a very sad look on her face. I went over to her, put my arm around her, and asked her what was wrong. Then the flood of tears came as she simply said, "I'm just sad that Cade cut holes in your suit," and the tears kept coming as I gave her a hug and told her how much I love her. I finally got her to calm down and explained to her that everything was going to be okay.

I know I have posted before about how much of a girl Brooklyn is, and how much of a boy Caden is, but I thought this was just another perfect example of the emotions of little girls and the 'no big deal, everything's okay' attitude of little boys. As for my suit, you ask? Well it's going in the garbage as it has about 5 or 6 big cuts in the back of the jacket and along the sleeves.

13 comments:

Ras Family said...

Oh, my goodness!!! I can't believe that Cade did that to your suit. You handled it so well too!!! Your kids are great examples of the difference in girls and boys attitudes. They are so cute!

Krista said...

Ooooh...ouch. Good thing suits are cheap, huh? Oh wait....

Sorry about the suit. But at the same time, the rest is seriously hilarious. Thanks for the laugh! Your kids are so adorable!!!!

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

i agree they are different! but wow, that sucks you had to learn that that way today!!! big time bummer. Did you beat him?? :) kidding

KMitchell said...

I guess a suit is a little worse than the hair since it won't grow back on it's own. What a classic boy and girl difference. You guys have the best kid stories!! We can't wait till they happen closer to us!

Ondriawfd said...

What a sweet little girl. Do we get to see pictures of the suit before you toss it? And, oh I'm sure Cade's a nice kid too. ;)

The Shirleys said...

I am impressed you could talk to Cade calmly about it at all yesterday! I think I would have been very upset all day. GOod for you.

I think it must not only be a boy thing but a age thing too. I caught Bradley cutting up one of Andy's financial papers the other day. Boys are cute though!

Scott Olson said...

Heath, you're quite the dad! Good job...sorry about the suit tho'

Your cousin Scott

B.E.C.L Wall said...

Ouch! It is a good thing that kids are so cute the other 95 percent of the time!

Jami Black said...

I am already getting a good idea on how girls work-so moody and drama oriented! I am excited to see the fun side of a boy-although I don't think I will handle the outbursts of creativity as well as you did!

JoEllen said...

A good demonstration of boys and girls? How about a good demonstration of parenting? I can't believe you could talk at all with Cade...I think he would have been living in my backyard for the next few days!

You're kid's really are adorable though! No picture of the suit?

Celeste said...

You guys are the best examples on how to handle tough kid situations. Cade was just trying to make you hip!! Its the newest trend. Your kids are so fun! Brooklyn is such a sweetheart!

Janalyn said...

I'm conflicted - on one hand I'm thinking we need a little boy because less emotion would be a good thing, on the other hand we don't need holes in expensive things.

Unknown said...

Heath, I hate to mess up your theory about boys and girls. However, as Caden said, it will be ok. After all you needed a new suit didn't you? LOL
Love you,
Aunt Alyn